For quite some time now, I’ve been wanting to make an LED lightstick. So I did. It’s well nice.
I gave a talk at Birmingham University. It was ok.
A status update on the apparent progress of my doctorate, featuring a name for my work, and a brief run through all of the things that are and are not broken as of September 2016.
I wrote a recipe and protocol for making 200ml of 0.5M EDTA buffer. Be warned, it takes ages and if you mess it up, it goes in the waste sink.
I wrote a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) protocol for somebody who has never held a pipette before. Prepare to spend all day pipetting colourless liquids into a tube, only to find that it all didn’t work anyway.
This is the third occasion that I’ve come to set up a Python package’s documentation. It is also the third occasion where I’ve spent many hours and commits trying to work out how I made everything work last time. So for my future sanity and possibly yours, here’s a quick guide on setting up Sphinx-based, ReadTheDocs-hosted Python documentation.
Another long overdue insight to the things I am supposed to be doing so I can call myself a doctor someday.
Earlier this afternoon, my server was upset. Here’s what happened, how it took so long to find out, and how I will try and stop it happening again. In particular, I provide configuration for a `fail2ban` jail to try and stop simple DOS, that actually works.
Every year, the university celebrates British Science Week with a Science Fair, inviting possibly the most difficult public to engage with: children. This year, I volunteered to run a stand.