Just when I think I have tricked the computer into finally doing what I want, it reveals that it has come up with a new way to fail obscurely and avoid detection.
As a financially constrained student, like many others, I use apache‘s support for Server Name Indication (SNI) to serve multiple SSL domains from one IP. I’m somewhat competent and the setup seems to work for all of my domains. Yet, some time ago I tried to access one of my VirtualHosts from work over SSL […]
In a change to scheduled programming, days after touching down from my holiday (which needs a post of its own) I moved1 to spend the next few weeks back at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute in Cambridgeshire. I interned here previously in 2012 and it’s still like working at a science-orientated Google thanks to the […]
Today, whilst continuing development on Goldilocks, I discovered a minor oddity that left me a little confused and bemused before lunch: True did not appear to be True… Part of Goldilocks‘ functionality allows for the filtering of results; users may specify a dictionary of criteria whose keys map to functions to be applied to result […]
Following completion of my most recent side-quest to find a little more about who the protozoa actually are and where they live in the context of UniProt, I now had a starting point to append to my archive of hydrolase records. I had already shown that around 1,500 Ciliophora-associated hydrolases could be extracted from UniProt, […]
Amanda suggested that alongside archaeal, bacterial and fungal associated hydrolases, we should also look at protozoans. No problem, I’ll just get the taxonomy ID for protozoa and extract another database from UniProtKB as before. Simple! Or so I thought… The rabbit hole is pretty deep on this one. Feel free to skip my multi-day exploration […]
The basement of the “old” biology building on campus is lined with beautiful microscopy images which I’d always been curious about. A few weeks ago I contacted the team responsible who were kind enough to offer some of their time to show their laboratory and demonstrate some of the processes involved. The team also extended […]
Finally. After all the trouble I’ve had trying to scale BLAST, running out of disk space, database accounting irregularities and investigating an archive_exception, we have data. Thanks to the incredible speed of rapsearch, what I’ve been trying to accomplish over the past few months with BLAST has been done in mere hours without the hassle […]
I tried to extract a single integer from a core dump and instead fell in to an abyss and learned how to be a computer.
Shortly after setting up this blog, I embedded Google Analytics tracking; primarily because I like numbers but also in hope of discovering that at least one other person who isn’t me or one my supervisors is interested in my adventures. It’s also great writing practice and gives me the chance to properly think through the […]